Thursday, October 25, 2012

Homemade Chili

I had an old roommate who's family owned a restaurant for a while.  She had some tasty, simple recipes she prepared for us and I added to my repertoire - one is this chili recipe.  It is amazing.  And it makes so much!  Use it to feed a crowd or enjoy leftovers for a while.


1 TBSP beef bullion
1/2 C margarine
1 C onion, chopped
1 lb. ground beef
3 cans tomato soup
2 cans stewed tomatoes
2 cans Hormel chili with beans
1 can Bush's chili beans
2 cans dark red kidney beans
1 can light red kidney beans
1 regular can tomato juice
2 TBSP garlic powder
1 TBSP chili powder
1 TBSP salt

(The recipe calls for specific brands of certain canned foods - I have included them because that is what was on the original recipe and it is so good I have never changed it.  If you use a different brand, I am sure it will still taste great - I just don't want to fix something that isn't broken.)

Brown the ground beef in a skillet and drain the excess when it is finished.
Add bullion, margarine, onion, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt to the meat.
Put all remaining ingredients in a large crockpot (you can simmer it on the stove too, but I've found the crockpot works best).
Add the beef mixture and combine all the ingredients well.
Cover and let the mixture heat through and simmer - the longer it cooks, the better it is!  I cook mine for about 4-6 hours on low, stirring occasionally.
Serve with cheese, sour cream, and if you want - in bread bowls.

*This recipe is from my old roommate Jessica and her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails