Saturday, October 22, 2011

Tomato Sauce

Our garden gave one last effort despite the colder temperatures and we ended up with some tomatoes that I did not want to waste, but really had no use for right now.  I decided to make some basic tomato sauce that I could freeze and use for a variety of things later on.
The quantities you use will totally depend on your taste and what you plan on using the tomato sauce for.  I made some with just a hint of garlic and basil so that I could alter the taste depending on what type of pizza, pasta, or other dish I use the sauce for.

20 tomatoes (halved)
olive oil
kosher salt
pepper
sugar
basil
garlic head


Preheat oven to 350.
Grease a large cookie sheet (with a rim).
Place the tomato halves evenly on the pan with the cut side facing up.
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and basil.
Peel the outer layer off the garlic head - do not separate cloves.
Set the head on the pan.
Bake for about 1 hour.
Once baked, place the tomatoes in a food processor.
Squeeze the garlic bulbs out of the head into the processor (making sure no skin comes off into the mixture).
Blend until your desired consistency is attained.
Season to taste - I left my sauce pretty bland so that I could season it for whatever I decided to use it for (pizza, pasta, etc.) later on.
Measure out the sauce into freezer safe containers or bags and store in the freezer until ready to use.  Let the sauce thaw out in the fridge for at least 24 hours before using.

This recipe is a Cooke Sundays original but was inspired by multiple online sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails