Monday, June 7, 2010

Gnocchi

This last December, my husband and I went to South America for a couple of weeks.  Many countries on the eastern side of the continent have European influence, including culinary influence from Italy.  One of my very favorite foods we ate was gnocchi.  Gnocchi is a noodle/dumpling dish.  It is so hearty and filling. Now, you have to know something about me...I hate potatoes...I have tried multiple times and it just doesn't work.  Gnocchi is often times made of potatoes, so I was quite worried to try it on our trip.  As I said before, it was one of my favorites...not a taste of potato anywhere!
When I made this recipe from The Williams-Sonoma Cookbook, it included a cheese sauce.  I made it and wasn't impressed.  The gorgonzala cheese was so overwhelming.  You can put any kind of pasta or cheese sauce on top.  When I find a great one, I will let you know!
Gnocchi is a fairly time consuming process, but was easier than I thought it would be.

1 3/4 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2" chunks
1 1/2 C flour (+ some for rolling)
2 eggs
1/2 C heavy cream

Boil potatos in a large saucepan until they are tender (they can be pierced with a knife tip).  It will take about 10-12 minutes.
Drain potatoes.  Grate with the large hole side of a box grater.  (The recipe calls for using a potato rice or a food mill, but I didn't have one)
Mix potatoes, flour, and eggs until well blended in a large bowl.
Turn the mixture onto a lightly floured surface.
Knead with lightly floured hands until soft and smooth for about 2-3 minutes.


Divide the dough into 4-6 even pieces (depending on work space).
Roll each piece into a long rope about 1/2" in diameter.


Cut into 1" pieces.


To form the typical grooved look of gnocchi, run each piece under fork tines (don't flatten).


Place on a lightly floured cookie sheet.


Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Add gnocchi and cook until they rise to the water surface (about 3-4 minutes).
Serve warm with sauce and vegetables of your choice.


Mmmm...so good!
I'll keep you updated on good sauce recipes!

1 comment:

  1. Mmm. That looks really good! I'll have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails