Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Homemade Pasta

I want to go to Italy.  It is the number one place on my future travel list.  My brother in law got to live in Italy for a couple of years and my taste buds are envious!  Besides the gelato, pizza, and breads, I want to experience the real Italian, fresh pasta!
I decided to make some this last week.  It was by no means perfect.  A little thicker than I would like, but the taste of fresh pasta far surpasses any boxed or bagged variety!
Someday I would like to get a pasta attachment for my KitchenAid to be able to make the pasta even thinner and totally identical in size and shape.  For now though, making it with my rolling pin and pizza cutter is fun and still produces an extremely tasty result.


This recipe makes enough pasta for 4-6 servings.

1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 1/2 C semolina flour
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2 TBSP water
2 TBSP olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (I used my KitchenAid mixer with the hook attachment) and mix it well until a stiff dough forms.
Kneed in the mixer for 4-5 minutes or by hand for 9-10 minutes until the dough become elastic.
Lightly dust a clean kitchen towel with flour and place the ball of dough in the towel and wrap it loosely.
Let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
Roll the dough out (I had to do it in 2-3 batches) on a lightly floured surface extremely thin (the pasta will thicken up a little bit while cooking so really thin means really thin).
Cut the dough into whatever type of noodle shape you would like (we went fettuccine this time).
Bring a large pot of water to boil with about 1/2 tsp of olive oil in it.
Add the pasta to the water and let it cook until it is tender and cooked through (3-5 minutes).
Serve warm with sauce, meat, or veggies.

This recipe is adapted slightly from Bob's Red Mill (on the semolina flour package).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails