Friday, July 19, 2013

Cheesy Summer Veggies

I first had this recipe at a cousin's house for dinner and knew I had to make it at home.  I am kind of picky about how I eat squash because the texture can be a big "yuck" for me sometimes.  This was the perfect way to eat squash...pair it with cheese and tomatoes?  Love it!
I like tomatoes and my husband doesn't and he likes potatoes and I don't so I did half the pan with tomatoes and half the pan with potatoes.  You can obviously mix them all together if your taste buds are fans of both tomatoes and potatoes.


This recipe makes about 4-6 servings.

1 zucchini, thinly sliced
1 yellow squash, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
1-2 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 C yellow onion, diced
1 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp thyme
salt and pepper
1/1-1 C Italian cheese blend (the cheese could be omitted if you are looking for a way to cut back on calories)

Preheat the oven to 400.
Saute the garlic and onion in the olive oil on medium heat for about five minutes until they are soft.
Spray and 8"x8" baking pan or a pie pan (or really and pan you have that is small-ish) with cooking spray.
Place the sauteed garlic and onion on the bottom of the pan.
Place the zucchini, squash, tomatoes, and potatoes in an alternating pattern in the dish over the onion and garlic.
Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and thyme.
Cover the pan with foil.
Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Remove the foil and sprinkle the veggies with the cheese.
Bake, uncovered, for another 15-20 minutes until the cheese is golden and starting to crisp on the edges.


This recipe is adapted from www.budgetbytes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails