Monday, April 5, 2010

Ginger Root

When making the Honey Orange Salmon below, I had to get ginger root.  I really didn't know what ginger root was or how to use it, so I did some research and thought I'd share.
Ginger root is a rhizome, or an undrground stem.  India and Jamaica are home to the best ginger root.  Various types of ginger are made from the ginger root.  The oil can be used to soothe stomachaches and toothaches.  When you used fresh ginger in a recipe, you peel off the outer tan skin (I used a potato peeler) and use the white interior.  It smells really good, too!  To store ginger root, it can be refrigerated in a plastic bag for a few weeks or put in the freezer for a few months.

Info about the ginger root came from the World Book Encyclopedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails