Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Crockpot Creamy Potatoes



If you have read this blog for a while or you know me well in person, you know I hate potatoes.  Not just hate, but abhor, can't-stand, they-literally-make-me-gag, can't-eat-them-unless-they-are-skinny-and-really-crispy-french-fries, type of hate them.
This is not just some preconceived notion either.  I tried them again during adulthood and my gag reflex went off and I almost vomited all over a friend's house.  Really.  I am not exaggerating.
So when my sister-in-law made these potatoes, I was ready to just write them off as something I wasn't going to eat for fear of making a mess on her kitchen floor.  Nonetheless, I tried them anyway.  And I liked them.
WHAT?!
Yes, I liked them.
Now, they are not my usual, healthy choice of of a side dish but if someone got me to eat potatoes, I see nothing wrong with a slightly (well...really) indulgent recipe for special potato occasions!


This recipe will serve 4-6.

1 can of cream of celery soup
1 can of cream of chicken soup
(you can use 2 cans of cream of chicken instead of one of each if you want)
8 oz. sour cream
1 1/2 lbs grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 small container of bacon bits
1 C milk
2 lbs. frozen, cubed hash brown potatoes
1 medium onion, finely chopped

In a large bowl, combine the creamy soups, sour cream, cheese, bacon bits, and milk.
Stir in the potatoes and onion.
Bake in a crockpot for 4-5 hours on low (or about 3 hours on high) or....
Or lightly grease a 9"x13" baking dish and bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours.

This recipe is from my sister-in-law's family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails