Friday, June 21, 2013

Homemade Caramel Sauce

This is another one of those things I don't think I can ever buy in the store again.  I know there are so many recipes out there for homemade caramel but a lot of them required a lot more time than I actually had.
You see, for Father's Day I made my husband his favorite apple pie.  This requires (yes, requires) drizzles of caramel sauce on the top.  It is otherwise not the same.  We had a problem though.  I was out of caramel sauce and the pie had just come out of the oven and needed the drizzle of sauce!
I did a little research and found this gem that I will be using for a long time.  I didn't have time for a candy thermometer or fancy ingredients.  This was perfect; and we didn't have to sacrifice taste at all!!  When we ate the apple pie, my husband put so much caramel on his I had to ask if he was having some pie with his caramel.  It is so tasty and I love that you can get such a tasty caramel in such little time.
I kept the extra in a mason jar in the refrigerator and it has been just as tasty each day hereafter!


3/4 C butter
1 1/2 C brown sugar, packed
2 TBSP water
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 C evaporated milk
1 TBSP vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, water, and salt and stir over medium heat.
Bring the mixture to a boil (keep stirring so it won't burn!) and stir for 3-5 minutes (it will get thicker as you go) depending on the thickness you want (it will thicken more later, too).
Add the evaporated milk and vanilla and stir until combined.
Store in the refrigerator and serve warm or cool drizzled on your favorite fruit or dessert...or just enjoy it by the spoonful!

This recipe is from food.com via www.thesisterscafe.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails