Sunday, September 16, 2012

Homemade Syrup

After living with my aunt and uncle for a week and a half between homes, I will never go back to store bought syrup!  This syrup my aunt makes is so good and so easy.  Even though things like syrup are full of sugar - I still feel better making them at home than buying them at the store where they are usually full of preservatives and things to help with shelf life.


(And I have to point out the fun syrup container - my aunt has one and after I complemented it multiple times she "gifted" us one as a housewarming gift!)

4 C sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
2 C water
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp maple flavoring
(the recipe makes about 1 quart of syrup)

Combine the sugar, brown sugar, and water in a saucepan.
Bring the mixture to a boil (stir often so the sugars won't burn) and then keep it at a boil for one minute.
Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool slightly (about 5 minutes).
Stir in the vanilla and maple flavoring.
Serve warm and store unused syrup in the refrigerator - we heat it up slightly in the microwave before serving it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails