Friday, August 24, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

This is my dad's favorite pie and one I remember actually not liking as a kid.  When my parents came out for a visit around his birthday, I made a strawberry rhubarb pie for my dad.  I am so glad tastes change over the years - this was amazing!
I made some changes to my mom's pie recipe and was very happy with the results.  My husband was so happy with them, he requested a second one the next day...and he got his own pie as a result!


Double pie crust

1 C sugar
1/3 C flour
3 TBSP cornstarch
1/4 C brown sugar
2 C rhubarb, chopped into small pieces
2 1/2 C strawberries, sliced
egg white
sugar (for sprinkling)

Preheat the oven to 425.
Roll out 1 pie crust and place in an 8-9" pie pan.
Mix the sugar, flour, and cornstarch.
Add the strawberries and rhubarb and coat with the sugar/flour/cornstarch mixture.
Add brown sugar.
Pour into the pie crust.
Top the filling with the second crust (I used a lattice pattern.  You can roll it out and place it on top, just make sure you put 3-5 slits in the top to allow for steam escape.  Feel free to experiment with fun patterns!)
Brush the top crust with the egg white.
Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for 40-50 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the juices boil.
Let the pie cool and set.  If it does not cool long enough, the filling will not be set.  It is still delicious, just harder to serve.
Strawberry rhubarb pie is especially delicious with vanilla ice cream!

*This recipe was adapted from my mom's original recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails